Contact us today on 020 3475 2189
SPEECH THERAPY IN SCHOOLS
As of January 2022 London Speech Therapy provide Speech & Language Therapy to 40+ schools across Greater London. Our schools commission us from 1 day per month, to 5 days per week as we are incredibly flexible. We offer half days and bespoke packages of assessments, therapy and groups depending on your school’s needs.
We understand the tightening budgets of schools and as such offer a flexible approach to purchasing effective Speech & Language Therapy provision within a school’s financial constraints. London Speech Therapy currently provides integrated Speech and Language Therapy to mainstream schools; special schools and resource bases across Greater London.
All of our therapists are Enhanced CRB checked, trained in Safeguarding Child Protection procedures and receive regular clinical supervision and continued professional development.
London Speech Therapy advocates an integrated therapy approach; working on Speech, Language and Communication in collaboration with teachers and learning support assistants, and families.
In the school environment our Speech and Language Therapists work with pupils who have a range of Special Educational Needs including:
- Autistic Spectrum Condition
- Developmental Language Disorder
- Down’s Syndrome
- Cerebral Palsy
- Selective Mutism
- Speech delay/disorder
- Language delay
- Semantic Pragmatic Disorder
- Auditory Processing Disorder
- Dysflyuency (stammering)
On an average day our Speech & Language Therapist will meet with the school SENCO and work out a priority list of which children need to be seen. Whilst we apply our clinical judgement in all our decisions we are more than able to ‘think outside of the box’ and we don’t have restrictive guidelines as to which children we will or won’t work with. This means that we offer therapy based on each individual child’s needs including:
- Screening and detailed assessments
- One to one therapy (observed by a Learning Support Assistant)
- Small group therapy (targeting speech; language; play and/or social interaction skills)
- Whole class support (supporting staff to create a communication friendly environment)
- Teaching team ‘on the job’ training and more formal ELKLAN training
- Attending annual reviews and coffee mornings to liaise with care givers
- Supporting TAs e.g. modelling activities/programmes, training, in class support
- Speech and Language Therapy Assistant (SLTA) support e.g. our SLTAs can come into school to support TAs with running groups, delivering therapy targets, modelling therapy approaches
- Communication Assistant Package – specific training for your TAs to learn how to identify SLCN, administer screens, run groups, develop programmes and much more!
Finally, effective Speech & Language Therapy requires parents to support their child’s Speech and Language development at home, as such, our Speech & Language Therapists can also provide activities/advice for follow up work at home on request and/or arrange a joint session in school for parents.